Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ten Years In The Game...

If you've followed my blog from inception, then you know that some of my fave things to write about are Fashion & Hip-Hop. You also might know that I'm a transplanted Torontonian who's been living in Calgary for almost 5 yrs now. I still try to keep myself connected with the Toronto Hip-Hop scene but realized that I should try to learn more about Calgary's hip hop culture. I haven't gotten into the scene as much as I'd like to yet, but I did meet a local MC about 2yrs ago that I'm pretty impressed with. He goes by the name of Infinite P. aka I. Peezy. His track "Mountains - feat. Moka Only" has been on The Creative Mixx playlist for the longest time now, so I hit him up for an interview. He's been busy promoting his latest album "Moonlight" but took some time to answer a couple of questions:)

How did you come up with the name Infinite P. aka I. Peezy?

Infinite P comes from the 1992 classic Jeru song called "come clean" he says "im a true master you can check my credentials cause I choose to use my INFINITE POTENTIAL..I loved that & used Infinite Potential as my moniker. Most people call me IP and Moka Only made up I.Peezy...it just kinda stuck.


How long have you been in the hip hop game? And, has Calgary been supportive?
I have been involved in hip-hop rapping since 1990 and producing since 1998. Calgary is home & supportive but I have a lot of support abroad. Judging from my online sites, such as reverbnation & myspace I have a lot of US / Australian / Japanese fans as well.

Now you were part of the hip hop crew called NWNB, what was that like?
It was a great experience, lasted 5 years, we grinded, toured & recorded 5 albums, well only 4 of 'em came out. Then we broke up due to creative differences.

Your latest album "Moonlight" will be available to the masses on July 6, 2010. How is it different from your other albums?
This record is hot, I have some great new guests(Main Flow(mood), Struck, Rich Kidd, Gudini & Inspiration) that I worked with & there's more singin' on this one. There's a really nice flow to this record and it's definitely good "Moonlight" Listening....I made it at night....I have some sort of nocturnal blessing...I make the best music late in the evening or early mornings.


So, "Moonlight" is launching as "Digital Only". Why did you decide to go that route?
Just trying it out(something new), also I hear in the next 5 years cd's may be obsolete...I may still press some more music on CD though. I'm still kinda old school, I buy cd's at the music store.

You've collaborated with quite a few talented kats on this album, tell me a bit about that.
Yeah, everything happens for a reason, most of it was all being at the right place at the right time, vibing out in the studio. Main Flow got at me via Facebook...he's a dope cat. Thanks to all y'all.

What would say is your favourite track on your latest album?
I got a few "doing it right", "can't give up ft. main flow", "looking good" ft. Inspiration" honestly the whole record is a smooth ride.

Do you have any concert appearances lined up for the summer?
I just did Chain Reactions B-day party, that was dope. My schedule is open...I may have another tour coming up in fall with someone everybody knows...we'll see though.

I was really feeling the track (and video) for "What's Going On" (off of the Westword Thee Album). What single will you be releasing first from the "Moonlight" album? And any plans for another video shoot?
Thanks, I love that joint too. I'm not sure if MOONLIGHT will have a video, we'll see about that. I think "Looking Good" would be the single.

Who are your musical influences?
Everybody I hear that's dope past or present(specially rapper/producers), here's a short list off my head: J Dilla, Erykah Badu, Sleepy Brown, James Brown & the JB's, Common, Moka Only, Jay Z, Diamond d, Kanye, Quincy Jones, Ryan Leslie, Saukrates, Nottz, Pete Rock, Premier, The Roots, Reflection Eternal, Mos Def, Bun B, Scarface, Joe Pass, etc etc.

Name one thing that you absolutely can't live without?
Music, Food & Shelter & above all (GOD)

What advice would you give to an aspiring hip hop artist trying to make it in Calgary?
To move to toronto...LOL j/k

Just keep grinding, no matter what, keep doing what you do, carve your lane & make sure your music is dope, once it is.....get it out there!!!!

Thanks to Necole / The Creative Mixx for the interview.....

I Invite y'all to follow me online:

www.myspace.com/ipbnw
www.twitter.com/infinitep
www.reverbnation.com/infinitepakaipeezy
http://infinitepakaipeezy.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/ipeezy

I had to post this vid again - love it.....






1luv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment....I will always reply here, so be sure to check back for updates
1luv

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...