Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I May Not Tweet Much, But I'm Glad That I'm On Twitter...

Now I don't know about y'all, but I'm still getting the hang of the Twitter thang. I've been on for a couple of months now (since November of 09) and I've only tweeted about 11 times lol. I think my lack in the tweeting department has to do with the fact that I don't have a data plan on my cell phone to give me easy access., (need to get that changed) So, although, I haven't made much of an effort, I'm shocked to see that I have 62 followers!!! Thank-you!!!

One thing that I do know, is that Twitter can connect you with some fabulous people. I received an email back in February notifying me that I had a new twitter follower - Heather Bitonti, a Calgary jewelry designer with Two Penny Design. I checked out her site and instantly fell in love:)

Here was another talented individual that I had to contact for an interview.

So, tonight's the night y'all!

Get ready to get an inside look behind the creator of lovely silver pieces that would make a wonderful addition to your existing collection. I happen to love silver jewelery and have some of my personal Two Penny Design faves. Check out my picks at the end of the piece~


How did you get started designing & making jewelry?
Since I can remember I have always made jewelry. Started as beaded jewelry when I was young and in the last couple years I learned silversmithing and started working with silver. I am pretty much self taught. I had a friend show me a couple steps and I started from there. I use the internet allot as a great learning tool, from web videos, articles and forums.

Aside from silver, what other materials do you work with?
Typically I work in Silver & copper. I do some work with colored Epoxy and have some pieces that incorporate stones, glass & wood beads.

How long has Two Penny Design been up and running?
http://www.twopennyjewelry.com/ has been only up and running for 3 months or so. When I started making jewelry it was just as a hobby - didn't really have any intentions for selling any of my work. But through my family and friends I had such great feed back that I started getting more and more orders just by word of mouth. So I set up a website and its been so great and I have had such great feedback.

Where do you get your inspiration from? And are you ever uninspired?
I feel like that is such a hard question. About 5 years ago I used to sit and sketch jewelry I wish I could make. Never having the idea that I could actually do it. Now a days I either just play around with shapes and technique or sketch what ever comes to mind. I think everyone has days where they feel uninspired. Some days I get working and find I make mistakes and nothing works out so that's when I know I need to step back and take a break.

Apart from your website, http://www.twopennyjewelry.com/ , how else can one get a Two Penny one of a kind creation?
Besides my website I am going to be having an art show and sale on May 15th at the Bridgeland Riverside Community Center from 10-4. Myself and two painters will be hosting this sale.

Is Two Penny Design a full-time endeavour?
I wish I could say it was but this is just a part time gig. Although most days I work just as many hours on my Jewelry as I do at my full time job.

Now I have a few "Two Penny" faves. From all of the pieces that you created, do you have a personal favorite? I have a couple. I would have to say the "bubble" necklace is one of my faves because it was one of the first pieces that I made for myself. Also probably one of my first rings I made the 1/2" think textured band.

What would you say is your greatest accomplishment so far as a designer?
That's a great question. Feels hard to answer with out sounding big headed. I guess for myself just learning on my own how to do things and improving my skills. Being self taught.

I know this is random, but what would you say is the one item that you can't live without?
In terms of my jewelry? I would have to say a ring. I feel naked walking out the door with out a ring on. Love the ring I'm wearing currently. Its just a plain 3/4" think solid band.

Do you have any advice for newbies starting out?
Still feel like a newbie, but I would say use the resources out there. There are some very good jewelry forums, videos and blogs on the internet that I find very helpful.

I'm still astounded to know that Heather's site has been up an running for only a couple of months! All I've gotta say is "well done girl - you are definitely on the right path"

Here's a photo of several Two Penny Design Pieces~



Now here are my faves, (to be honest, I could have posted every item from Heather's site, but I've narrowed things down lol)







Click HERE to check out the Two Penny Design site.....

1luv

2 comments:

  1. i'm glad i found your blog. i really enjoy what you talk about on here. i follow you now; feel free to follow me too.

    cherylclarke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cheryl....welcome to the Creative Mixx!!! I'm glad that you found my blog:) I have visited your blogspot and love it! I'm now a follower~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment....I will always reply here, so be sure to check back for updates
1luv

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...