Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Innovative Designs From A Local Gal....

On Monday, I let y'all know that Alberta Fashion Week is accepting applications from local designers for another jam-packed week of pure loveliness this March.
Well I've been lucky enough to get an interview with one of the designers who, not only appeared in AFW's premier event last October, but will also showcase her designs for the highly anticipated upcoming Spring event. I'm proud to present Caitlin Power, a Calgary designer that blew me away last fall. Meshing leather accents in her designs got me thinking "this woman definitely pays attention to detail". I was eager to share her journey with you, so peeps sit back, relax and get ready for another fab interview~

What made you decide to become a fashion designer & how long have you been designing clothes?
When I was young I hand sewed dolls with scrap fabric. My Mom had repairs done to her sewing machine and then I started sewing lessons. I was in grade 6 at the time. In grade 7, with the introduction to Home Ec, my career focus was to be a Fashion Designer. I have not looked back. I would say I have been "designing" since grade 12.

Where do you get your inspiration from? And are you ever uninspired?
Every season is different. Last season was influenced by architecture and flowers. This season, Fall/Winter 2010 is influenced by Art Deco. I can always find inspiration while shopping for fabric. I am rarely uninspired. It might be for one or two days, then it just hits me again.

What would you say has been your biggest accomplishment so far?
I won Emerging Designer at Edmonton Fashion Week, just days after graduating from the Fashion Program at Lethbridge College.

Can you tell me a bit about your Spring 2010 collection?
It was a mix of hard and soft elements. I took the femininity of flowers, using silk chiffon's and made it edgy with tailored hard pieced, using leather.

What are your favourite fabrics to work with?
Leather, silk(chiffon and charmeuse). This season I will be adding lace, brocade, and silk velvet.

Who is your favourite designer? And why?
I don't have a favorite per say. I am influenced by them all. Among my top favorites are Gareth Pugh, Alexander McQueen, Lanvin, Stella McCartney and Rodarte.

Has living in Alberta made it difficult to break into this industry?
Yes and No. It is easier to get noticed, as there is not as much competition. However, it is harder to source for fabrics, supplies and production.

Name one fashion piece that you can't be without?
My black Habitual Jeans! (They are the best fit I have found in jeans) Or jewelry.

Do you have any advice for newbies starting out?
Work as hard as you can, then work even harder!! It is a tough business to start, always stay positive, focused, and keep your goals reachable!

Where do you see yourself in 5yrs?
As a well known Canadian Luxury Brand, selling in Canada, USA and Europe. I will have at least one flag ship store in Canada.

If you're dying to see how talented Caitlin truly is - just feast your eyes on these images from the SS2010 collection~







I can't wait to see how Caitlin incorporates lace, brocade & silk velvet. I will definitely fill you in when I run my Alberta Fashion Week coverage in the next few months.

But if you can't wait....Click HERE to visit her site

I'm out~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment....I will always reply here, so be sure to check back for updates
1luv

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...